Shell Gives Up Arctic Drilling on Anniversary of Noble Discoverer Protest!
Well this is a great anniversary present for Greenpeace and the Taranaki 8 who on the 24-27 February brought attention to Shell's plans to drill in the Arctic. On the day (a day and a bit) of the first anniversary of the protest, 27 Feb (US), Shell has taken their drill ship and gone home for the rest of 2013!
There comes a time when you know you're digging a great big hole and someone needs to come along and say 'STOP DIGGING' for you to stop and just take stock of how far your project has gone belly up. It's admirable that you are still digging this hole for yourself but it's time to stop.
This is where Shell found itself at the end of 2012. It was not a good year PR wise; it was disastrous. So like all successful people and companies do, they take stock of what happened and see where they can fix something that's gone belly up. Sometimes admitting defeat and walking away is the only option. After the year Shell had, that was the ONLY option left to them.
Let's review A Year in the Life of Shell Oil and the #SaveTheArctic Campaign...
SHELL Stops Drilling in the Arctic for 2013
Huzzah! Millions of dollars, lost hours in courtrooms and bad publicity has forced Shell's hand (plus some really horrible ships and the nice Arctic weather).
- 18 - Taranaki Daily News Opinion Piece: I Love Lucy For Putting Children Before Oil Companies 18 Feb 2013
- 14 - 2.7 Million Have Signed the Arctic Scroll
- 12 - Bold Energy for NZ Unveiled + Photo of Lucy on 27 Feb Noble Discoverer
- 09 - Radio New Zealand Interview with Lucy About Court Case 07 Feb 2013
- 08 - Lucy Determined To Keep Fighting For the Environment TV3 News 08 Feb 2013
- 08 - Cleaning Toilets Is Easier Than Cleaning Oil Off Sea Birds - NZ Herald 8 Feb 2013
- 08 - We Did It For The Future by Lucy Lawless
- 07 - Press Release: Star Lawless Slams Oil Giant Shell Outside Court
- 07 - BREAKING NEWS: The Verdict Is In! Community Service & Fined $651.44!
- 06 - Editorial: What Happens In the Dark Comes To Light For Shell
- 05 - Lucy Tweets: Lucy Going to Court 7 February Confirmed
- 02 - Lucy Responds To The Alaskan "Lucy Lawless Bill" On Twitter
- 02 - Lucy Tweets: Save The Arctic Protest Court Case Set For 7 February
- 01 - Alaskan Politican Introduces "Lucy Lawless Bill"!