I Had Little Choice
by Lucy Lawless
24 February 2012
What the Hell am I, Lucy, actress and mother, doing scaling a derrick on a drillship in New Zealand??
My heart was pounding as we made the ascent and my mouth was dry. I felt shell-shocked for half an hour after we reached the top. We have just scaled a 60 metre tower and the wind is buffeting us on all sides. I'm writing this using a small laptop we've brought with us.
I'm safe, I'm ok, my carabiners are sound, but it was pretty scary! I think I'd rather be home with a latte, but I don't feel that I had a choice.
Instead of seeing the melting of Arctic sea ice as a dire warning to humanity, the oil barons are cynically using it as an invitation to dig up more of the stuff that caused the problem in the first place. This aging rust bucket, the Noble Discoverer (more like the Ignoble Destroyer), is one of the oldest drillships in the world and it will be spearheading Shell's crazy foray into the dangerous and pristine Arctic.
Despite admitting to woefully inadequate means to deal with oil spills, Shell is proceeding, determined to be "the first" in the Arctic.
Clearly in a cost/benefit analysis, Shell reckons that an Arctic spill is an acceptable risk to them.
But make no mistake, due to the harshness and remoteness of the Arctic environment, an oil spill up there will make the Gulf of Mexico look like a children's party.
An oil spill under the ice could rage for years before they could cap it. The plankton that prop up the whole ecosystem would die and the ripple effect would be heinous.
Join me in sending a message to Shell that devastating one of the world's last pristine environments is not acceptable to us!
Who died and made the oil barons God?
Don't they want their kids to grow up in a world where polar bears and the magical narwhal still exist?
Unless we stand up now, I fear our grandchildren will condemn us for our laziness, our stupidity and our cruelty.
We have the technology and the know-how for a clean and viable future. Inevitably, we must more to a clean energy economy.
Let's do it while there is still an Arctic left to save!
- LucyFOLLOW THE LATEST NEWS, IMAGES & VIDEO ABOUT THE PROTEST
(See more on the AUSXIP Lucy Lawless Save The Arctic Event Page)
- 08 - Interview: Lucy Lawless Continues Her Fight Against Oil Drilling and Climate Change Al Jazeera America 6 November 2014
- 20 - Lawless Appeals For Justice–Sunday Star Times
- 19 - More Photos of Lucy at Greenpeace Vigil and Video from Greenpeace
- 18 - Greenpeace Press Release: ‘30 Days of Injustice’ Vigil for Arctic 30
- 18 - Lucy at Vigil To Mark 30th Day of Detention For Arctic30 18 October 2013
- 15 - Video: Lucy at Powershift 2013 via Skype 15 July 2013
- 15 - Lucy at the Powershift 2013 Youth Climate Summit
- 15 - Lucy at Powershift 2013 Youth Climate Summit Today Via Video Link
- 12 - Save the Arctic Protest + Lucy Tweets and Radio Interview
- 18 - Powershift 2013 Lucy's Speech for 15 July "Why I Climbed An Arctic Oil Rig"
- 15 - Greenpeace Competition: Win two tickets to Glastonbury 2013
- 22 - Lucy Finishes Her Community Service And Comments on Working in Palliative Care
- 06 - Interview with Lucy: "Sex Symbol? I Didn't Do Anything To Deserve That Title" - English Translation Blogs EL PAÍS 03 May 2013
- 08 - HuffPost Green Honouring Female Environmentalists That Have Helped Defend The Planet
- 05 - Save The Arctic and No Deep Sea Oil Drilling Campaign Updates
- 01 - Shell Drop Arctic Oil Drilling Plans – Greenpeace Response
- 28 - Shell Gives Up Arctic Drilling on Anniversary of Noble Discoverer Protest!
- 18 - Taranaki Daily News Opinion Piece: I Love Lucy For Putting Children Before Oil Companies 18 Feb 2013
- 14 - 2.7 Million Have Signed the Arctic Scroll
- 12 - Bold Energy for NZ Unveiled + Photo of Lucy on 27 Feb Noble Discoverer
- 09 - High Resolution Images of Lucy at New Plymouth Court 7 Feb
- 09 - Radio New Zealand Interview with Lucy About Court Case 07 Feb 2013
- 08 - Lucy Determined To Keep Fighting For the Environment TV3 News 08 Feb 2013
- 08 - Cleaning Toilets Is Easier Than Cleaning Oil Off Sea Birds - NZ Herald 8 Feb 2013
- 08 - We Did It For The Future by Lucy Lawless
- 07 - Official Greenpeace NZ Video + Screencaps of Lucy Lawless Meeting The Press 7 February 2013
- 07 - Press Release: Star Lawless Slams Oil Giant Shell Outside Court
- 07 - BREAKING NEWS: The Verdict Is In! Community Service & Fined $651.44!
- 06 - Editorial: What Happens In the Dark Comes To Light For Shell
- 05 - Lucy Tweets: Lucy Going to Court 7 February Confirmed
- 02 - Lucy Responds To The Alaskan "Lucy Lawless Bill" On Twitter
- 01 - Alaskan Politican Introduces "Lucy Lawless Bill"!
- 12 - Return of the Warrior NZ Weekend Herald 12 Jan 2013
- 05 - Save The Arctic: Noble Discoverer Under Criminal Investigation
- 01 - Taranaki Daily News 2012 In Review Lucy Lawless 1 January 2013
- 16 - OMG Moments The Year in Review Lucy Lawless Herald on Sunday 16 Dec
- 16 - Sierra Magazine Trendsetter: Lucy Lawless Actor and Activist
- 09 - A Letter To My Grandchildren by Lucy Lawless NZ Woman's Weekly 17 December 2012
- 22 - Save The Arctic Protest Court Case Delayed Till Feb 2013 - Taranaki Daily News & TV3 News
- 20 - Greenpeace Press Release: Sentencing adjourned for Lucy Lawless and Activists
- 18 - Save The Arctic Update: Noble Discoverer A History of Mishaps
- 17 - Save The Arctic Court Case Update - Postponed Again
- 28 - Lucy Featured in Defenders Of The Earth Mexican TV Show
- 18 - Lucy Wears Save The Arctic T-Shirt & Shell Stops Drilling!
- 17 - Save The Arctic: Shell Postpones Arctic Drilling Until Next Year
- 13 - Lucy and Taranaki 7 Court Case POSTPONED to 22 November 2012
- 12 - Save The Arctic: Mother Nature Stops Shell's Arctic Drilling
- 11 - Press Release: Shell Starts Arctic Drilling as Ice Levels Plummet
- 10 - So It Begins: Shell begins petroleum drilling off Alaska coast - AP 9 September 2012
- 09 - Lucy To Be Key Speaker at Power Shift NZ Pacific 2012 Climate Summit
- 08 - Lucy Interview on The Film Freak Movie Talk Show Podcast 09 September 2012
- 04 - Arctic Becomes Cold War Zone Washington Times Daily 3 September 2012
- 11 - Lucy Lawless Live Twitter Chat Transcript
- 10 - Upcoming Twitter Chat with Lucy Lawless 10 August (PST)
- 22 - Not Fit For Purpose - Shell Drill Ship Noble Discoverer NZ Herald 22 July 2012
- 19 - High Arctic Sanctuary Campaign Petition Reaches 957,699!
- 18 - Eco-Warrior: Noble Discoverer Mishap Justifies Lawless Protest Waikato Times 18 July 2012
- 17 - Greenpeace UK Targets Shell Petrol Stations in UK + Lucy
- 04 - High Resolution Curve Magazine July - August 2012 Scans
- 03 - Lucy Lawless Message to Susanna Rustin From The Guardian
- 02 - Lucy Lawless Greenpeace Press Conference Audio 21 June 2012
- 30 - Lucy Lawless Xena The EcoWarrior The Guardian 30 June 2012 + Scans
- 21 - Lucy Signatory in High Arctic Region Declared A Sanctuary
- 20 - Lucy Lawless From Warrior Princess To Eco-Warrior Curve Magazine July|August 2012 Issue
- 17 - Official Greenpeace Lucy Lawless & Taranaki 7 Photos 14 June 2012
- 15 - Lucy Lawless Greenpeace Blog Post: Guilty NOT Sorry 15 June 2012
- 15 - Editorial: Lucy's Celebrity Status Puts Spotlight On Save The Arctic Campaign and What It Actually Means
- 15 - BBC Radio Up All Night Show Interviews Lucy on Save The Arctic Protest + Transcript 15 June 2012
- 14 - Lucy Exclusive Interview with 3 News on being and actor and an activist 14 June 2012
- 14 - Associated Press Actress Lucy Lawless Pleads Guilty To Trespass 14 June 2012
- 14 - Press and Photos of Lucy & Taranaki 7 Outside Court
- 14 - Greenpeace Press Release: Activists Plead Guilty To Being On Unlawfully On A Ship and Direct Appeal to Others to Stop Deep Sea Oil and Protect Arctic
- 14 - Message From Lucy on the Verdict - Burglary Charged Dropped!
- 12 - Lucy's Court Case Moved to Auckland District Court 14 June 2012 - CONFIRMED
- 12 - Lawless Likely To Face Less Severe Charge - Taranaki Daily News 12 June 2012
- 06 - Heavy Sea Ice Throws Significant Delay Into Shell's Arctic Drilling Plans
- 30 - Save The Arctic: Judge extends restriction area for Greenpeace
- 17 - Lucy Lawless and Taranaki 7 Court Case Adjourned to 13 June
- 15 - Lucy Lawless and Taranaki 7 Court Case Adjourned AGAIN
- 06 - New Lucy Photo From Sunday Times Magazine 06 May 2012
- 04 - Video: Rata Pue Farewells Greenpeace Activists at Parihaka 18 April 2012
- 01 - Lucy & Taranaki 7 Court Case Pushed Back to 17 May
- 23 - Three Day Protest Extreme For Lucy Sunday Star Times 22 April 2012
- 22 - Lucy Interview: Action Hero Protest Princess Sunday Star Times 22 April 2012
- 19 - More Photos of Lucy and Taranaki 7 in Court 18 April 2012
- 19 - Lucy Lawless Proud of Ship Protest NZ Herald 18 April 2012
- 18 - Lucy Video: Official Greenpeace Video New Plymouth Court 18 April 2012
- 18 - Lucy and the Taranaki 7 Official Greenpeace Photos From New Plymouth Court 18 April 2012
- 18 - Press Release: Greenpeace Activists Remanded Till 3 May
- 18 - Lucy & Taranaki 7 Court Case Update: Reappear 3 May
- 17 - Lucy and the Taranaki 7: You Speak For All Of Us
- 17 - Lucy and Taranaki 7 In Court Tomorrow 18 April 2012
- 14 - New Save The Arctic Support Artwork by Aiglon
- 04 - Lucy Lawless Greenpeace Court Case Postponed By Another 2 Weeks
- 30 - Save The Arctic Protest: Shell Granted Legal Injunction Against Greenpeace In US Court
- 30 - Lucy Talks to Boston Herald About Save The Arctic Court Case 29 March 2012
- 20 - Save The Arctic: We Can Enjoy A Good Life Without Extreme Oil
- 16 - Save The Arctic Protest Support Page Image Galleries and Artwork
- 15 - We Don't Need Extreme Oil NZ Herald 15 March 2012
- 12 - Save The Arctic Lucy Lawless Photos on Corbis
- 10 - Save The Arctic Lucy Lawless Art by Klippart
- 09 - Radio New Zealand National Interview With Lucy From 27 Feb
- 08 - Greenpeace Magazine (German Edition)
- 08 - Lucy Lawless Tweets: Shell Oil Threatens a Birthing Ground of America's Polar Bears
- 06 - Greenpeace NZ Blog From muesli bars to a global mind bomb
- 05 - Lucy Lawless' Private Passion NZ Woman's Weekly 12 March 2012
- 04 - Lucy Lawless On Sunday TV Show 04 March 2012 Video Now Online
- 04 - Lucy Lawless Speaking Up For All Of Us
- 04 - Democracy Now Features Lucy and the Save The Arctic Protest in Broadcast
- 04 - Lucy Lawless Press Snippets From New Zealand 04 March 2012
- 03 - Press Release: Judge Rejects Bulk of Shell and Proposed Restraining Order Against Greenpeace
- 03 - We Can Do More To Help Become More Environmentally Aware - Blog by Lesley-Ann Brandt
- 02 - Oil Protest Hand International Cast Court Documents Update 02 March 2012
- 02 - Lucy on TVNZ Sunday Interview - Preview Video and Photos
- 02 - Lucy Talks To The Star About The Upcoming Save The Arctic Court Case
- 01 - Upcoming Lucy Lawless Interview with TVNZ About Save The Arctic Protest 04 March 2012
- 01 - Arctic Ocean Drilling: Shell Launches Preemptive Legal Strike
- 01 - Save The Arctic Court Case Pushed Back - Update
- 01 - Lucy, That 1988 Shell Advert and Some Common Sense Into The "Debate"
- 29 - Lucy's Court Date Changed to 20 March 2012 - AAP Report
- 29 - Video: Lucy Lawless on E! News 27 February 2012
- 28 - Take Action Now Save The Arctic - Send A Message To Shell
- 28 - Images: After The Protest In Front of Media Official Greenpeace Photos
- 28 - Lucy's Burglary Charge Could Seriously Impair Travel to US - NZ Herald 27 Feb 2012
- 28 - Greenpeace Press Release: Arrests end Shell Arctic drillship occupation 27 February 2012
- 28 - Bunny Diamand Blog: Seven Went Up, 133,000 Came Down
- 28 - Lucy Lawless, Arrested, Battles On Up Beat Magazine 27 February 2012
- 27 - New Greenpeace Video: Four days of action in defence of the Arctic
- 27 - Lucy Talks To Reporters After Being Released - Video
- 27 - Charges Laid Against Lucy and Protesters
- 27 - Day 4 Official Greenpeace Photos - The Arrest
- 27 - Lucy Lawless Talks About The Experience TV3 News
- 27 - BREAKING NEWS: The Police Have Arrived...TVNZ Reports
- 27 - Protesters expect removal by police today - NZ Herald 27 February 2012
- 27 - Evening Day 3 Protest Day Lucy Lawless Video
- 27 - Support Lucy and Greenpeace Buy #SaveTheArctic T-Shirt From Greenpeace
- 27 - Protesters Get Global Support - Taranaki Daily News 27 February 2012
- 27 - Press Release: Flood of Support Online Boosts Arctic Drillship Protest
- 27 - Lawless Expects Arrest Waikato Times 27 February 2012
- 26 - Lucy Lawless v. Shell: David v. Goliath Voxy News 26 February 2012
- 26 - Lucy Lawless NZ Local News Roundup for Day 3 Save The Arctic Protest
- 25 - TV3 Nightly News 25 Feb with Lucy Lawless Save The Arctic Protest Update
- 25 - Audio Interview Taranaki Daily News Interviews Lucy 24 February 2012
- 24 - Latest Tweets From The Protest
- 24 - Actions Speak Louder Than Words Lucy Lawless Protesting
Check out the latest on AUSXIP Lucy Lawless Stop Shell Drilling The Arctic Event page or
Follow @RealLucyLawless on Twitter
Follow @GreenpeaceNZ on Twitter